Last Modified: February 2022
AKAM LIVING SERVICES, INC. (“AKAM”, “we” or “us”) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit our offices, websites administered or operated by us, including, but not limited to, www.akam.com, our mobile applications, and community web-based portals, including those which we provide to communities to provide property management services (collectively, the “Sites”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On the Sites.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and the Sites.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from the Sites, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and the Sites.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by AKAM or any third-party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- any third-party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Sites.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Sites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Sites. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on the Sites or on or through any of its features/register on the Sites, make any purchases through the Sites, use any of the interactive or public comment features of the Sites or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at: email@example.com
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Sites, including information:
- by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, social security number (“personal information”); and/or
- about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Sites and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
- From third-parties, for example, our business partners.
Information You Provide to Us.
The information we collect on or through our Sites may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Sites. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Sites, subscribing to our service, posting material, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Sites.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Your search queries on the Sites.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Sites, or transmitted to other users of the Sites or third-parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Sites with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies.
As you navigate through and interact with our Sites, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Sites, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Sites.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and may include personal information, or we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third-parties. It helps us to improve our Sites and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Sites according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Sites.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Sites may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Sites. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see Choices About How We Use and Disclosure Your Information.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Sites and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit AKAM, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not control these third-parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclosure Your Information.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Sites and their contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To provide property management services to our clients, including processing payments; responding to requests for documentation from clients; providing marketing; providing customer service; and distributing materials to clients.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Sites or any products or services we offer or provide though them.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Sites.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclosure Your Information.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our parents, subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third-parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of AKAM’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by AKAM about our Sites’ users is among the assets transferred.
- To third-parties to market their products or services to you if you have consented to/not opted out of these disclosures. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclosure Your Information.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the “email a friend” feature of our Sites, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, subpoena, audit, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government, investigative, or regulatory request.
- To investigate potential fraud or other areas of concern or if we believe in good faith that disclosure is legally required or otherwise necessary to protect our rights and property, or the rights, property or safety of others.
- For statistical analysis and research purposes.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of AKAM, our customers, or others.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from AKAM. If you do not wish to have your email address/contact information used by AKAM to promote our own or third-parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions.
- Location Based Advertising. We may provide you with helpful information based on where you are. If you tell us where you are (e.g., by allowing your mobile device to send us your location), we may use that information to provide you with location-based information and advertising. If you wish to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your mobile device.
We do not control third-parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third-parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) on the NAI’s website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can change your personal information by sending us an email at email@example.com to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Sites like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Sites.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Sites. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Sites. Data security incidents and breaches can occur due to various reasons which cannot reasonably be prevented. Therefore, while our reasonable security programs are designed to manage data security risks and help prevent data security incidents and breaches, you cannot assume that the occurrence of any given incident or breach results from our failure to implement and maintain reasonable security.
Your California Privacy Rights/Do Not Track
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information to third-parties for the third-parties’ direct marketing purposes. AKAM does not disclose your personal information to third-parties for their direct marketing purposes.
You can access, update, and delete personal information you provide to us in your account profile by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we are ready to assist you in managing the personal information you provide to us, we cannot always delete records due to financial reporting, compliance, or other reasons.